Monday 30 September 2013

How it all started... (Pt. 1)

So let's go back a little to how my love of poker all started...

I'd always been interested in card games as a kid, whether it be blackjack, patience (solitaire) or gin rummy. I was only 12 when Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels was released but I remember seeing it shortly after it came out and being fascinated by 3 card brag.

It wasn't until around 12-13 years ago when I got my first taste of Texas Hold 'em. When I was 14 years old, every Friday night I would have my dinner and spend the rest of the evening watching channel 4 (back when Friday night TV was actually good!). I can still remember the line up from about 8pm onwards, it was Friends, Fraiser, Father Ted, South Park, Eurotrash (lol)... in later years Celebrity Deathmatch which was pretty meh but the night was always finished off with Late Night Poker starting at about midnight.



I was instantly hooked and, unknown to me, so were a few of my mates who lived in my street. It wasn't long before the show came up in conversation and we quickly started playing some 'home-games' in my garage. They were always very small games, there were 4-5 of us, and we'd all stick £1 in and play winner takes all. Small games but I'd already got the hunger for winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment